I recently started a blog where I write about the problems I have with Windows 10. I am trying to get a better understanding of networking and how to fix them to get systems to work properly.
Network discovery is a very useful feature in Windows 10, allowing you to connect your PC to a workgroup, homegroup or domain without needing an IP address. When it is turned on, Windows finds your network automatically and connects to it without needing to have your computer manually seek out your network connection.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance. In Windows 10, Network Discovery is a feature that lets you quickly find devices connected to the network through File Explorer. If you enable the Network tab, File Manager allows you to see all your devices and even their available resources, such as shared folders and printers. The only downside is that network discovery doesn’t always work as expected and sometimes you can’t find a computer, or you see some but not others. Whatever the cause, you can fix almost any network discovery issue by making sure the feature is enabled, running the required services and protocols, using the Network Troubleshooter, or resetting the network stack in Windows 10.
Why does network discovery not work in Windows 10?
There are several causes for this problem. Each cause is closely related to one of the methods to be used to solve the problem, see the list below: Network detection is enabled in the Windows Defender firewall: If the firewall does not allow the connection, it should be ignored. SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing does not work: Although this standard is outdated, users report that enabling it fixed the problem. Essential services are down: Network Discovery depends on certain services, so make sure they are active.
Troubleshooting network discovery in Windows 10
updated June 2021:
We now recommend that you use this tool to fix the error. Moreover, this utility repairs common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. With this program you can quickly solve PC problems and prevent further problems:
- Step 1: Download the PC recovery and optimization tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step Two: Click Start Scan to detect problems in the Windows registry that may be causing problems with your PC.
- Step Three: Click Repair All to fix all issues.
Enable network discovery
- Press Start and select Settings.
- Click on Network and Internet.
- In the left sidebar, click WiFi or Ethernet, depending on which connection you are using.
- Find the option Edit advanced sharing
- Click on Extend private network (current profile).
- Go to Network Discovery and select Enable Network Discovery.
- Select the Enable automatic configuration of network-attached devices check box.
- Click on Save changes and close the window
Using the command line to enable network discovery
- Click the Start button and type CMD in the search box.
- In the search results, right-click Command Prompt.
- Choose Run as Administrator.
- On the extended command line, type: netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=Network Discovery new enable=Yes
- Press the Enter key. This allows the network to be traced.
- To disable network discovery for all network profiles, return to the extended command prompt and type: netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=Network Discovery new enable=No, press Enter, and close the window.
Configure firewall settings
- Click on Start and select Control Panel
- Choose the system and security
- Click on Windows Firewall
- On the left side, click Allow an application or feature through Windows Firewall (or Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall).
- Click Change Settings and provide the required administrator rights when prompted.
- Select Network search and press OK
- Configure any other firewalls on your Windows 10 computer to allow network discovery.
- Enable network discovery in the Network Center.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance.
frequently asked questions
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix network discovery problems?
Network discovery problems are a common problem in Windows 10. They can prevent you from successfully connecting to a Network. This tutorial shows you how to fix the network discovery problems in Windows 10. A recently discovered bug in Windows 10 has left millions of users with no network access and no way to fix the problem. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen a tech support person on a call with a user who is experiencing this issue and all they can tell the user is to restart their PC. It’s a huge problem because users can’t use their PCs, can’t play games, and can’t get online.
Can’t Turn on network discovery win 10?
Network Discovery is a feature in Windows 10 that allows you to quickly to see the name, type, and availability of Wi-Fi networks in range. It’s a handy tool for troubleshooting, and you can use it to access your network. But sometimes, it just won’t work. Instead of getting the usual “not working” error, the feature just stops working all together, and you’re left wondering why. One of the things I like about Windows 10 is the new Network Discovery. This allows you to find and connect to other devices running Windows 10. However, if your Network Discovery not working, you can find a fix for this in this blog post.
How do I make Windows 10 network discoverable?
Something’s gone wrong with your Windows 10 network. Something has broken and you can’t access the internet. You’re able to see the network and computers on it with a standard troubleshooter, but you’re unable to see the network in “show hidden networks”. What’s going on? I just upgraded my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I am not happy. I can’t find any devices on my network. In Windows 7, I would enter the following in the Network and Sharing Center: Once you’ve done that, you will be able to see all your devices on the network. I am unable to do that in Windows 10. Here’s how I can fix that.
Feedback,network discovery not working windows 10network discovery not working windows 7how to fix network discovery in windows 10enable network discovery windows 10 registrywindows 10 network discovery not showing all computersturn on network discovery windows 10 not saving,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,windows 10 network discovery not showing all computers,network discovery not working windows 10,turn on network discovery windows 10 not saving,network discovery is turned off. network computers and devices are not visible,network discovery won't stay on windows 10,network discovery not working windows 7,how to fix network discovery in windows 10,enable network discovery windows 10 registry